Friends of Westbank Libraries
Who are the Friends?
In 1985 a group of dedicated library supporters formed the Friends of the Westbank Library is a 501c3 non-profit organization. For years this group has actively raised thousands of dollars to purchase such things as the Mark Twain statue, the Backyard Dragon, the Giving Tree and the Bubble Machines. These things have served to add interest, charm and character to the libraries. While the goals of the Friends have remained consistent since int inception, the current board believes now is the time to expand the participation of the Westbank community within the organization.
The Friends of the Westbank Community Library district will support the interests and welfare of the Westbank Community Library district by promoting volunteerism, fostering the Library through cultural and social events and raising funds in support of the Library programs.
What do the Friends Do?
Host Library Programs
- Checkmate Chess Club: the Friends host the weekly program & the special tournaments, both of which are among the most popular events at the Library.
Three a year, in fact! Exceptional teen volunteers have a chance at one of these scholarships that total $2,000 combined.
Financially Assist the Library
The Friends ensure that some of Westbank's members' favorite things get the financial support they need to be great:
- Outdoor Chess Garden: Laura's Library has become quite a chess destination for the Austin area (& beyond), & this fully functional, outdoor chess set honors that success.
- Summer Reading Program support: the Friends make it possible for the Library to do a weekly prize drawing for adults & kids during the Summer Reading Program by partnering with local businesses.
- Hospitality for Children's Programs: storytimes serve thousands of kids & parents every year, and the Friends underwrite part of the cost by providing snacks for evening storytimes & helping to buy craft supplies.
Ready to get involved?
How to Become a Member:
- Send your name, address, phone number and email to email@example.com and a member of the Friends will contact you soon!
- Come to either branch of the library & tell someone at the circulation desk that you want to join the Friends.
- Membership dues are $20 per year (minimum). Payment options will be provided when you contact the Friends.